What exactly is the Straws on Demand bill and how will it affect my business?
CO Legislative Update - Straws on Demand Bill
You may have heard about the straws on demand bill recently in the news. To clarify some of the misconceptions about it, CRA wrote House Bill 1143 in order to avoid a complete ban on plastic straws which is happening in a few other states.
HB 1143 is NOT a ban on plastic straws and it would not require the use of a specific type of straw. It makes straws available to customers on request. The CRA asked for this legislation because there are groups currently seeking an outright ban on straws or requiring the use of a specific type of straw, which we feel is overreach as to how you operate your business.
This is a common sense approach that ultimately should lower the operating costs for restaurants while also reducing the amount of straws used in the state. And, because the bill doesn’t have any penalties, it is not a heavy handed approach. Several other states are very interested in the reasoned approach we are recommending, and are watching our progress with interest.
In addition, the bill also includes language exempting the certain situations. It does NOT apply to the following:
- The use of self-serve dispensers.
- An order that is placed at a drive-through window, this is a public safety concern. If customers are driving while consuming their beverage, regardless of if the beverage is hot or cold, it should be secured in a fashion that reduces the likelihood of the beverage spilling.
- A delivery order. When a restaurant delivers food they cannot assume that the customer has all of the utensils needed to consume their food.
Again, HB 1143 is not a ban on plastic straws and our Government Affairs team would be happy to answer any questions about this and any other 2019 legislation at the Capitol. See the latest State Legislative Update on our website
Get informed. Get involved. Get to D.C. for the Public Affairs Conference – March 27-28
The National Restaurant Association Public Affairs Conference takes place March 27-28. New on the agenda this year includes a “kitchen table discussion” resembling the Sunday political talk shows.
Confirmed guests include:
- Moderator: Margaret Brennan, host, CBS's Face the Nation.
- Democrat panelist: Stephanie Cutter, senior adviser to former President Barack Obama and Obama 2012 deputy campaign manager. She is a regular commentator for ABC News, ABC’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos and CNN.
- Republican panelist: Alex Castellanos, consultant to former President George W. Bush, former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, and former governors Mitt Romney and Jeb Bush. He co-founded the consulting firm Purple Strategies and frequently appears on NBC’s Meet the Press and ABC News.
Registration is still open, learn more here.
Support our Industry's Next Generation at the Colorado ProStart Invitational – Friday, March 1
co Denver Hospitality Cup Culinary and Management Competition.
- Culinary Teams will prepare 3-courses in 1 hour using only 2 butane burners
- Management Teams will develop and pitch a business proposal for a new restaurant concept
Come watch the teams compete at the beautiful Gaylord Rockies Hotel for our top state competition! Perhaps you'll find your next top talent to join your company. Learn More About It
Menu Labeling Compliance Guideline
As of May 7, 2018, restaurants with 20 or more locations operating under the same name should be complying with menu labeling regulations. However, during this first year of implementation, the Food and Drug Administration is focusing on education and working cooperatively with establishments to help them comply. Enforcement is expected to begin May 7, 2019. The National Restaurant Association has developed a document that includes an overview of the regulation, Q&A, and useful links to FDA resources to help operators understand the menu labeling regulations. See the guidance document.
+ CRF Scholarship applications are open! Deadline is April 1, 2019. Visit our website for more information on how to apply.
+ The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation scholarship applications open, Due March 15. ChooseRestaurants.org.
+ Our Partners at Visit Denver also have their Foundation Scholarships open. Deadline is March 15
CRA CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Feb 14: Durango Chapter Meeting
Feb 19: Pikes Peak Chapter Board Meeting
Feb 19: Mile High Chapter Board Meeting
Feb 22-Mar 3: Denver Restaurant Week with Mile High Chapter
Feb 27: Hockey Night Out with Northern Colorado Chapter
Feb 28-Mar 1: Colorado ProStart Invitational & Sysco Denver Hospitality Cup
March 10: Mile High Chapter Drink Red Wear Red, sponsorships available
Feb 25: ServSafe Food Manager Certification - Paonia
Feb 26: ServSafe Alcohol Certification - Denver
Feb 28: ServSafe Food Manager Certification - Aurora
*Pre-registration required, Sold Out classes are not listed
SUPPORT THOSE THAT SUPPORT OUR INDUSTRY